Thursday, September 16, 2010
Link Thursday: 10 Things He's Thinking About Your Clothes
Well, yeah - I married a Caveman. If I didn't take him shopping for his clothes, I'm sure he'd end up in a potato sack or something!
Clothes are just clothes... Yeah, right! The day I gobble that up without a fight you know I've had a serious nervous breakdown!
That being said, not all men are Cavemen - and hint here - your hero usually isn't one too. He does need to notice what the heroine is wearing (even if his plan is to get her out of said clothes. Be realistic - we write romance with heat too!).
So what do the 'normal' blokes out there think of clothes on a woman? What impresses them, and what makes them go "eek!"?
I didn't know yet what to post as Link today but when I opened my inbox, the Windows Live Homepage had this little link buried alongside my Inbox notifications. One look and I knew I just had to share (especially considering I just bought a dress last Saturday and had been treated to the eye-roll at the shop, and said eyes did pop out the next morning when I wore the dress to go out. Nothing like some girly validation for satisfaction!).
So, the article comes from my article bible - by now you know that's the MSN Lifestyle pages! The stuff is written by a bloke, Michael Reilly, and features quips from real live blokes from around the world.
Here's the link if you want to see the slideshow with pics of the celebrities wearing the clothes:
10 Things He’s Thinking About Your Clothes
Think catty girls are the only ones who size up a woman’s outfit? Wrong. Turns out the guys have plenty to say about what you’re wearing–and what they’d love to see you in. Here, what he’s thinking about your clothes, according to 10 very honest dudes.
by Michael Reilly
1. Seriously, what is up with the leggings?
First, girls were wearing black tights or leggings only under shorts or skirts. Then, the shorts and skirts disappeared. Now tights are the new pants. Not even just for nightlife. It’s so common, it’s confusing. —Geoff, 37
2. If you skip the girly dress thing for a night, I won’t mind.
I like it when girls wear little leather jackets with the sleeves rolled up. That’s hot in cool way. I like styles that don’t make the woman look fragile. Cowboy boots work too. —Raffa, 29
3. That buttoned-up shirt is like a big red stop sign.
I’m all about the neckline. I find that women with tight collars are stuck-up and closed-off, just like women wearing sweaters are cold—and not in the temperature way. —Chris, 35
4. Lacy bras are nice and all, but going braless ain’t too shabby either.
This morning I was going down the stairs to the subway when this girl was coming up. She wore a T-shirt three times too big. I saw that the collar was cut out and her shoulder was sticking out: no bra. I turned at the bottom of the stairs and watched her all the way out of sight. I was running late today; I’m planning on running late again tomorrow. —Daniel, 28
5. Are you a Jackie or a Marilyn?
I love a woman in a bathing suit. Specifically, I like the bottoms that have a thicker waist and show enough of the butt, but not the whole butt. A lady gets points for being a lady. —Alexander, 34
6. If only that LBD of yours were a little more R-rated.
There’s nothing sexier than a woman in a long black dress with a low-cut back and a slit from high up all the way down the leg. Heels of course. —Ben, 32
7. Is that silk?
During a summer like this, I’ve noticed a lot of women wearing thin, delicate fabrics. I like it when you get the impression of a woman’s silhouette through a garment. It makes movement seem languid. —André, 42 (Editor’s note: This romantic comment comes from a Frenchman, natch.)
8. Are you ever going to let go of that bag?
I appreciate it when a girl’s outfit “breaks down” over the night—her jacket comes off, a button comes undone, then her hair comes down. It’s nice when a date lets you know she’s comfortable and is having a good time. I just don’t know why they never let go of their purse, even on the dance floor. —Alan, 34
9. Dressing like your friends is a definite DON’T. Ditto for strapless tops.
I can’t stand it when groups of girls go out together all wearing the same thing but slightly different. Everyone has on a black skirt and high heels, but different-color tube tops. Tube tops are ugly, by the way. —Paul, 22
10. There’s a fine line between tempting and tacky—walk it if you dare.
Lots of women play it safe with their clothes. So you have to give her credit if she stands out with something like fishnet tights, a really short skirt or parts of her bra showing. (Just not all at once.) —Steven, 22
So let's recap:
1. Leggings are a no-no. Especially with no skirt.
2. Dress a little tough - the girly-girl is not a hit every single time!
3. Buttoned collar = frigid vibe (???) What do you do if your clothes' style, like a chinese dress, has a buttoned collar?
4. Ditch the bra (we knew this one, didn't we? Sigh...)
5. Don't go Brazilian-thong-beach-babe on the beach. Some coverup is sexier!
6. Glamorous dress = Jessica Rabbit but in black, not red!
7. Wear flowy - make him guess your shape (it's all in the conquest with guys, it seems!)
8. Don't strike up a simultaneous love affair with your purse/handbag. Choose - man or bag (and that choice is difficult, I know. I'm tempted to say... bag wins...)
9. Strike for individuality - don't get lost in the posse visually. And tube tops are bad, apparently.
10. Some sexy is good - a little too much is overkill.
What'd'ya think, ladies? Or guys (since some guys drive by this blog too, apparently!)?
From Mauritius with love,