Remember last week I started a series of posts about Gentlemen's Etiquette? You do want your hero to be a gentleman, innit? He can be a biker bad boy to a CEO and everything in between, but one thing a hero always is - Noble! And he has manners. :)
So we learned what a man was supposed to do - and not do - when fine dining. Some of it was weird (A gentleman doesn't draw on the table... uh, unless he's 6...?); some was spot-on and a dead giveaway that your hero is, well, "unrefined" (A gentleman never snaps his fingers to attract the waiter's attention); and some was in the good-to-know category (A gentleman never talks about golf at a table where ladies are present... ???)
When you know that two-thirds of first dates happen over a dinner table, these pointers do come in handy (plus, don't forget you can use said pointers to make your antagonist/loser/douchebag male character a better, well, uhm, douchebag...?)
...and when you've acertained that a date is almost always dinner... especially that special date of February 14, aka, Valentine's Day...
What's your hero to do, so he'll behave and come across a gentleman?
Read on to find out!
The article is from Esquire.com, and is written by John Mariani. You can find the link with the original slideshow here
How to Take a Woman to Dinner the Right Way
With expert restaurant do's and don'ts, etiquette tips, and more romantic advice, make this 21-step guide your food bible for Valentine's Day. Or else.By John Mariani
1. Ask her out at least five days in advance.
2. French restaurants may seem romantic…
3. On Chinese and Asian restaurants:
4. Mexican restaurants can be amiable.
5. Steakhouses tend to be meat markets.
6. Sushi is very good for a casual date.
7. Italian restaurants are your best bet.
8. Wear a jacket or blazer.
9. Don't forget:
10. Tip 20 percent if you expect to return.
11. Pay the bill.
12. Offer to switch plates if she hates her meal.
next photo will load in  seconds.
skip this ad
skip this ad
13. Don't flourish a bribe to a maître d'.
14. Don't share plates.
15. Don't order soup.
16. Don't perform the Heimlich maneuver.
17. On tasting the wine:
18. Ways to tell a restaurant is bad:
19. Other ways to tell a restaurant is bad:
20. Yes, you like oysters.
21. Don't order coffee.
From Mauritius with love,