Monday, January 30, 2012
Random Thoughts Monday: 7 Things About Me
Another week starts... and I hope & pray this one won't be a total fiasco like last week was. Oh well, the way last week was, anything will be better than that! :) Did manage to break an old ms out (making me go *gasp! I wrote such crap???*) and break out the Pilates mat once again - first time this year - which made some muscles in the backs of my arms, in my back, and my hamstrings, to complain along the lines of "We were doing perfectly fine not acknowledging our existence, so why did you have to go and make us work???"
Anyhow, the true point of today's post...
Last Tuesday, fellow SSS author Paula Martin bestowed me with a lovely "Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award". In line with that honour, I have to disclose 7 things about me you might not know.
I'm pretty much an open book, lol, but let's try to rack up 7 things:
1. When I was a kid, I wanted to be an accountant. Lol, no - not temporary madness; more like hero worship. I have an elder brother - he was 16 when I was born. So by the time I was a little kid, he was already a grown man on the town, and working towards earning his ACCA degree. I adored my big brother, and wanted to be like him, hence the desire to be an accountant like him.
Whole plan fell into the water when I
a) discovered maths and me made 3, and
b) in accounts classes in secondary school, I had a hard time distinguishing Credit from Debit, so strike accounts right there for me :)
2. I get my small stature from my mother. She's even smaller than I am, barely 5"1 tall. After 2 kids, she's 'rounded' up a bit, but back in her day, she was trim as a willow. She got married at 21, and to this day, I haven't managed to try on her wedding dress - the waist doesn't even pass over my shoulders!
3. When I was a kid, my hair trailed down all the way to my calves - a regular Rapunzel :)
4. I've always been story-inclined. Back in primary school, we had to write 120-words essays and picture compositions in English & French, and I always went over the word count. My teacher would often drop by my desk and go, "You writing up a novel again, girl?"
Guess he didn't know his words were prophetic :)
5. I hated soft drinks when I was younger. Then all went to hell in a handbasket when I got pregnant and craved Pepsi like I wouldn't live if I didn't have an ice-cold glass stat!
6. I was bullied in secondary school, all through the first 5 years. The mean girls clan, led of course by one mean girl, had it out for me because a chubby-limit-overweight girl like me couldn't have a life, let alone a boyfriend. So I was the object of their torment, taking on their snickering, taunts, and making-funs every day. Sometimes I wonder how I made it out without trying once to end my days - I dunno, maybe it was God helping me. What doesn't kill you does indeed make you stronger, and today I thank those mean girls for making me the girl I am now. (And then at 16, I lost the extra weight and in front of the whole word, got a gorgeous boyfriend who adored me, and that shut them all up *grin*)
7. Funnily enough, I had my first 'suitor' at 7 - we were both in the same class, 2nd grade primary. His name was Guillaume, he was cute but chubby and totally sweet, and he had severe asthma, which made him miss a lot of school days. Lord knows what has become of him today...
So there you are - 7 things about me :)
And now it's my turn to bestow the "Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award" to 10 other bloggers. Here's my list:
Natalie G. Owens
Jessica E. Subject
From Mauritius with love,